Wednesday, July 22, 2009

In a state of boredom

With the salad bar at work, that is. Since I have stopped eating chicken, beef and pork, and I try not to eat refined carbs and most breads, I am left with few options to choose from at work. Now, don't get me wrong, the lunch is free and I am grateful for that. But when I feel limited and bored by my options.... that is when I am most likely to make up excuses and eat unhealthy. "This cookie? It is vegetarian, though! No meat in it! And this chocolate? Full of antioxidants!"

Since the hot special is usually some combination of pasta and cheese, or chicken/beef/pork smothered in a buttery sauce, all of which can be very appealing, I try to stay away from that. The sandwich line is somewhat better- they have whole wheat wraps if you don't fancy carbolicious breads, they have veggies to stuff your wrap or sandwich, and you can opt for tuna instead of ham and cheese-but I am usually too tempted by the less stellar offerings. Like bacon. Mmm, bacon. I gave up pork without a care, but bacon calls me for some reason....

The soups tend to be full of salt, I think. How do I know, you ask? Because I am thirsty the entire rest of the day when I have the soup. And oftentimes the soups have chicken or beef or cream.

So, I get the salad most days. The salad bar has a lot of options, but it is pretty much the same everyday. Even the layout of it stays the same. So I end up getting the same fixings, and I always dress it with oil and vinegar and avoid the packaged dressings. Boring, I know. Here is what it looks like most days:



Spinach, peppers, red onion, tomatoes, black olives, grated carrots, chickpeas, cucumbers, boiled egg, tuna, and sunflower seeds. It is like my own healthy version of "two beef patties, special sauce, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, on a sesame seed bun."

Today, I needed anything but my usually layout. I ended up only getting pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. And I just munched on those the rest of the afternoon- not deserving of a gold star, but better than the damage I could have done, right? I also got an apple sauce, and sprinkled some cinnamon on top. But I did notice it was much sweeter than the kind I buy myself. I am pretty sure it had added sugar... Bastards.

Do you ever get bored with your food choices? How do you mix things up?

No comments:

Post a Comment